Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

5 weeks to go!

Can I tell you how excited I will be on September 27th? I will wake up in the morning and the triathlon will be over. I won't spend all my time obsessing over how fast I swim, bike and run. I'll be able to do different workouts. Best of all, I won't feel guilty if I miss a workout one day. Of course I'll still be exercising, but I won't be on a strict schedule of what exercise, # of times per week and for how long.

I've been feeling really stressed this week because I started really looking at the Westchester Triathlon website, especially this page. Apparently, the elite athletes will be finished with their 9/10 of a mile swim in 18 minutes. 18 minutes!!! Some people will be finishing the whole thing in less than 2 hours. I will only be a few minutes into my bike ride at that point. Obviously I know I'm not an elite athlete (and no where near that level), but it is still very intimidating. I just keep reminding myself that I'm in it to finish. I figure with no problems, it will take me between 4-4.5 hours to finish. I still can't believe I'm doing an athletic event for that amount of time. That reminds me, I have to make my spa appointment for the next day. For Mother's Day, I got the super-duper-major spa package from my husband. I think I deserve to use it after the Tri!

I have another open water swim on Monday night. I didn't get to go last weekend due to the thunderstorms. You can find me at Rye beach for the next 4 Mondays!

For this week, I need to keep running. The early morning runs have worked out really well. I'm going to try to keep doing it 2-3x a week.

My fitness goals will be pretty consistent until the Triathlon:

1. Early morning run at least 2 or 3 days.
2. Eat more protein and complex carbohydrates.
3. Drink lots of water. It's hot out there!
4. Do 1 brick. Bike ride for at least an hour (preferably more) and then run/walk for 3 miles.

I wonder how many calories I will burn during the triathlon...

ETA: This is my first high endurance event. I'm doing it as a member of Team In Training and raising fund for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I've had 3 very close family members die from blood cancers so this is very personal for me. I would never try to attempt a Triathlon as my first event if I weren't doing it for charity.

My Team In Training page is here.

GO TEAM!!!


MAMAVATION TV: Join us Monday night at 7pm PST/10pm EST on Mingle Media TV.

SISTA OF THE WEEK: Congratulations to Shawnee Halligan @ShawneeH for being the Sista of the Week! Way to go.

A big thank you to this week's sponsor, Earth Footwear! I have a pair of suede clogs that I adore and wear all the time during the winter. And, I love that they are so earth friendly! I would love another pair that I can wear year round, or maybe a cute pair of boots.

14 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK at the triathlon!! Dang...I'm freaking out over a 5k and people are talking about half marathons and triathlons! WHEW.

    September 27th, I start fall term, so I will definitely keep you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh a triathlon! HUGE deal! good luck training!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Can't wait until I'm at the point where you are! After my 5K I will be focusing on the duathlon, so I'll be doing bricks too. Curious how they will be for you! I seriously can't even fathom how the elites get their times in anything, I mean, serious, how does one run 4-5 minute miles for 26.2 miles? It's mind boggling!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes for the triathlon! I want to try one of those someday!

    If it's your first one, make it a goal to simply finish and then go for another one and make it a goal to finish in X place :-) That's what my mother in law did and she finished maybe 5th her second time?

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, good luck on the triathlon. What an amazing goal - can't wait to hear how it goes!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Way to go for signing up for a Tri!@

    I took a Tri training page out of an old issue of Self mag and was using it to keep my workouts mixed up {I fell like my body adjusts fast! so gotta keep it guessing}... Anyways I realized that Self was INSANE thinking someone could be ready for a Tri in 4 weeks... Also that I suck at swimming.... haha... I swim like a rock...

    Anyways my city was going to host one so I looked up how far each leg was so I use the 10mile bike ride as a pace for myself @ the gym... I thought about signing up but one of my coworkers checked it out and said it looked like a good way to drown... apparently swimming was last, when really it is easier when it is first (and you arent exhausted!)... so I am still working out, but decided to try the next one...

    Haha.. sorry for hijacking your blog comments! Have a great week and good luck with those goals!

    Laura @SeeLauraRun

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome!!! Wish you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 weeks to go - it's getting so close! Team In Training is such a great way to go, I hope you raise a ton of money. Good luck on your training this week, and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh a triathalon!! That is on my bucket list!! I look forward to hearing how it went!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you! This is going to be such a great adventure for you. I hope to be in your place one day soon, training for a tri. Good luck with your training. Focus on the finish line and that amazing spa day you have coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great week and get back to enjoying the fun of training. You are TNT so the purple/green/white folks stick together at these events and have a blast. You are not an elite athlete so don't have any pressure besides to be prepped and to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I am so proud of you! I can't wait to read all about, you make sure to keep us in the know!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I am so impressed with your commitment to doing a triathlon! I'm training for my 1st 5k and THAT is intimidating for me. But yes, your goal is to finish. That will be huge bragging rights for you!!

    You've got a great plan for the week! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dooood, I'm so routing for you! XXOO

    ReplyDelete